International Music Journalism Award - Let's Celebrate Music Journalism
For the second time, the International Music Journalism Award is to be awarded in 2018 at Reeperbahn Festival.
Starting this year there will be in cooperation with Le Bureau Export also an award for texts from the French language.
Submissions were accepted in the following categories:
1. The Best Music Journalist of the Year - German / English / French
2. The Year’s Best Work of Music Journalism
a) Print - German / English / French
b) Audio - German / English
c) Multimedia - German / English
3. New Perspective – The Year's Best Work of Music Journalism, Under 30 - German
4. The Best Music Business Journalist of the Year - International
The deadline for submissions in German and English language expired on 31 May. The deadline for submissions in french language expired on 15 June.
The idea / guidelines
High-quality journalism is a valuable commodity. The environment in which excellent, original journalism can be produced is becoming ever more challenging and, particularly for young journalists, a lot less attractive.
Outstanding individual work and first-rate ongoing journalistic engagement that focusses on popular music and its business climate should and must be recognised – with special attention paid to the work of young music journalists.
Works / candidates
To be considered by the jury, submitted journalistic work must…
- ...deal with a subject/issue having to do with pop music, e.g. a musician, band, concert, festival, recording, or be a reflection on the current pop music climate,
- ...be accessible to the public in a standard analogue or digital format, e.g. a text (newspaper, magazine, blog), radio piece, TV report, multimedia project, podcast, video channel, or entire broadcast or online formats, etc.,
- ...be published between 1 June 2017 and 31 May 2018.
For the categories “Best Music Journalist” and “Best Music Business Journalist”, the candidates’ contributions outside the above-mentioned time period will also be considered. The aim is to pay tribute to impactful journalists who consistently approach their profession with great skill and expertise, enjoy an exceptionally high reputation, and can serve as a model for others.
Presentation of the winners
The award-winning works will be made available to the public four weeks before the festival.The Best Music Journalist and Best Music Business Journalist will be honoured at the Reeperbahn Festival Conference and the winners will take part in Conference talks or discussions that address the subject of music and media. We are also hoping for a greater reception of their works.