International Music Journalism Award - Let's Celebrate Music Journalism
For the third time, the International Music Journalism Award is to be awarded in 2019 at Reeperbahn Festival.
In addition to the awards for English and German languages, there will be again an award for texts from the French language in cooperation with Le Bureau Export.
Therefore submissions were accepted in English, French and German.
The deadline for the submission of English and German proposals was 31 May 2019. The deadline for submissions from French-speaking countries was 10 June 2019. For the award categories, everyone had the chance submit their suggestions by the submission form. An independent board will do a pre-selection on which three jurys of experts will then review these suggestions and decide the winners.
Submissions were accepted in the following categories:
1. The Best Music Journalist of the Year - German / English / French
2. The Year’s Best Work of Music Journalism
a) Print - German / English / French
b) Audio - German / English
c) Multimedia - German / English
3. New Perspective – The Year's Best Work of Music Journalism, Under 30 - German
4. The Best Music Business Journalist of the Year - International
The idea / guidelines
High-quality journalism is a valuable commodity. The environment in which excellent, original journalism can be produced is becoming ever more challenging and, particularly for young journalists, a lot less attractive.
Outstanding individual work and first-rate ongoing journalistic engagement that focuses on popular music and its business climate should and must be recognised – with special attention paid to the work of young music journalists.
Works / candidates
To be considered by the jury, submitted journalistic work must…
- ... deal with a subject/issue having to do with pop music, e.g. a musician, band, concert, festival, recording, or be a reflection on the current pop music climate,
- ... be accessible to the public in a standard analogue or digital format, e.g. a text (newspaper, magazine, blog), radio piece, TV report, multimedia project, podcast, video channel, or entire broadcast or online formats, etc.,
- ... be published between 1 June 2018 and 31 May 2019.
For the categories “Best Music Journalist” and “Best Music Business Journalist”, the candidates’ contributions outside the above-mentioned time period will also be considered. The aim is to pay tribute to impactful journalists who consistently approach their profession with great skill and expertise, enjoy an exceptionally high reputation, and can serve as a model for others.
Presentation of the winners
The award-winning works will be made available to the public four weeks before the festival. The Best Music Journalist and Best Music Business Journalist will be honoured at the Reeperbahn Festival Conference and the winners will take part in Conference talks or discussions that address the subject of music and media. We are also hoping for a greater reception of their works.